ID.me identity verification requirement for non-US researcher accessing GTEx controlled data

Hello,

I am a researcher based in Germany with an existing eRA Commons account and approved dbGaP access to GTEx (phs000424). I have successfully created a Terra account using my institutional email address.

Following the current instructions for linking Terra to NIH RAS, I was directed to because I am a non-US researcher, but during the setup, I am being asked to provide personal passport information/documents and complete identity verification that appears to include a recorded video call.

Before providing these personal documents, I would like to confirm whether this full ID.me identity-verification procedure is mandatory for international researchers with an existing eRA Commons account and approved dbGaP access.

Is there an alternative institutional authentication route for non-US researchers, or is passport/document and video identity verification required to link eRA Commons to RAS and access controlled GTEx data through AnVIL/Terra?

Thank you!

Hi @stephanie.binder ,

Thanks for your question!

Identity verification is required. As far as we’re aware, id.me is the tool available for international users (please see the RAS Integration for AnVIL Data article for more information).

According to id.me’s documentation, you have the option to verify identity with a video call, but you also might be eligible to verify identity through a Self-Service.

Best,
Ava